Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Saturday, February 5, 2011

My Granny

My Granny had a stroke last week. It was quite a shock as she has been really healthy her whole life. Thankfully it was a minor stroke, well as minor as you can get. She is recovering really well and the Dr.'s are really impressed with her improvements. I spent 5 days in Reno with her, spent a lot of time in the hospital. Every day I saw improvements, her speech when we first got there I could barely understand what she was saying. But just a few days later it was SO much better!
I learned something during those days in Reno, well a few things. One-My relatives on both sides of my family (Dad's and Mom's) are really close and really care about each other. It is so sad to me how many older people are in care homes and hospitals and never have visitors. They sit day after day probably hoping for someone to come in and cheer them up. Instead the only people the see are Doctors and nurses. We had people in the hospital all hours of the day, all night all day. The only time she was left alone was when the nurses were giving her a bath. You hear a lot and it's sad to say but it's not good to leave people in the hospital by themselves, especially when they can't do very much for them self. Granny had seven kids, all of them but my Mom and her brother Tommy live in the Reno area. They all were there different times of the day and week. All of them talking about changes needing to make at Granny and Papa's house for when she comes home. All of them looking to the future and what they can do to help her recovery and help keep her independence. The reason why all of Granny's kids were there to support her was because she and Papa were good parents. They have a strong marriage and were strong with their discipline and their kids grew up loving them. And now all these years later when their oldest is almost 60 I think, they still love their Mama and want to help her in anyway possible. To me in the day we are living in, that is pretty amazing.
2-After spending days with my 2 Aunts, I see where I get my strong will and willingness to speak my mind. Granted it isn't maybe always best but I don't like people running over me, I will be heard! I see that a lot with them and it is good and bad, so I want to find a balance.
Most of all I appreciate the family I have. We are not all perfect but I'm so glad for the love and care that is shown to me, that helps me along, that encourages me along..
Mom and her parents

HAHA!

1 comment:

kara said...

awww...thanks for this tribute.